Monday, September 13, 2010

Childhood Obesity and Nutritional Needs (II)

by Protica Research

Adding a Supplement to a Child's Diet

If the child's pediatrician agrees with it, adding a protein supplement as either a meal replacement or a between meal snack is beneficial for a number of reasons. First, protein can help the child from feeling overly hungry because it contributes to feelings of satiety. Second, there are so many options that you and your child can find the right kind of protein in the right kind of supplement that will suit everyone's tastes and needs. And finally, there are a number of benefits from the various kinds of protein and protein supplements including muscle building, repair and maintenance. Supplement options include protein shakes, powders, bars and liquid protein supplement shots.

Protein powders include soy, whey, egg and rice proteins. The number of teens who are vegetarians or vegans is fairly high, even among those who are overweight, so if you are planning to suggest adding one of these, make sure that you are choosing the right one for the teen.

Soy is a complete protein, meaning that it has all eight essential amino acids that the body cannot make on its own. Soy and rice protein are both appropriate for vegans and vegetarians. Whey protein is made from a byproduct of cheese production and is not suitable for vegans. Ovo-lacto vegetarians can have both whey and egg protein powder supplements.

A liquid protein supplement shot like Profect by Protica is also a good option for children and teens. It is small and comes in packaging that they might find pretty cool since it looks like a plastic test tube vial. It has only one hundred calories but gives a full 25 grams of protein per serving and comes in flavors that will appeal to children including Blue Raspberry, Grapefruit-Mango, Fresh Citrus Berry and Cool Melon Splash. It also provides 100% of the day's vitamin C and 10% of the day's vitamin B complex, but has zero carbohydrates and zero fats.

Other Nutritional Considerations

Make sure that children are getting all of the nutrients that they need, including calcium. Low fat milk is a great after-exercise drink for children, and gives them calcium as well as 9 grams of protein.

Animal proteins are complete proteins, supplying all of the essential amino acids. In children, there are nine essential amino acids: leucine, isoleucine, valine, threonine, methione, phenylalanine, tryptophan, lysine and histidine.

Plant proteins are not complete because they lack one or more of these essential amino acids. The exception to this rule is soy protein, which is complete. Opting for lower fat versions of either type of protein as well as getting complex carbohydrates instead of simple carbs is better for your entire family, not just the overweight child. One of the best protein food sources from the animal world is turkey breast, which can be used in place of a number of the children's favorite food choices.

Learn substitutions for your children's favorite meals as well as healthier choices for when the family is out to dinner. Don't worry about when your child is out of your sight so much, as long as he is getting healthy foods 80% of the time, the other 20% will not be so damaging. Make sure to boost exercise not only for the one child, but for the whole family as well.

References

Joan Lippert Downsizing the American Child: How to Get Your Kid Healthier and Happier. Heart Insight Magazine. August 2009

Diane E. Papalia, Sally Wendkos Olds and Ruth Duskin Feldman. A Child's World: Infancy Through Adolescence. Eleventh Edition. McGraw-Hill Publishing Company. United States 2008

The US Guidelines on Protein and Diet. The United States Department of Agriculture


About the Author
About Protica Research (http://www.protica.com) Founded in 2001, Protica, Inc. is a nutritional research firm specializing in the development of dense nutrition in compact forms. Protica manufactures Profect (http://www.profect.com), IsoMetric (http://www.isometric.com), Pediagro (http://www.pediagro.com), Fruitasia (http://www.fruitasia.com) and many other brands in its GMP-certified, 250,000 square foot facility. Copyright - Protica

Labels:

BOOKMARK THIS POST

Childhood Obesity and Nutritional Needs (II)

0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home